The following checklist will ensure that your child is ready to receive the Sacrament of the Eucharist. If you are an adult or teen interested in making your First Communion, please visit our RCIA page.
- Your child must have completed two years of Faith Formation (including the year spent preparing for First Communion). First Communion does not automatically happen in second grade if a child has had no religious education prior to second grade.
- You must attend the required parent meetings and preparation activities for First Communion Parents.
- Complete and return your child's First Eucharist Registration Form, along with a copy of your child's baptismal certificate (if he/she was not baptized here).
- The Archdiocesan policy states that the "Sacrament of Reconciliation is received prior to the celebration and reception of First Eucharist. Any variation of this norm occurs on an individual basis."
- Although it is traditional for girls to wear a white dress and/or veil and for boys to wear suits for First Holy Communion, it is not required. Girls may wear white or pastel color dresses, with or without veils. Boys can wear dress pants and shirt, with sweater or vest. We would expect "Sunday Best" for the celebration of this sacrament.